SERYFA U15s & U16s V North Region Results

On Sunday 12th November 2017 both the SERYFA U15s & U16s Regional Select Squads gathered early to board the team bus at 9;30am from the Marriott Hotel Edinburgh to head north to Aberdeen to play the North Region in out first fixture of this years Inter-Region Shield.

With no call offs both squads set off. The bus journey was a rather quiet one with both set of players probably more tired than nervous. 

By the time we stopped off about an hour from Aberdeen both set of Team Coaches had picked their team line ups and all the teamlines had been filled in. After a 3/4 hour break we all reboarded the bus to head to Aberdeen. Their was now a wee buzz on the bus as the players started to get their match day heads on. 

First we dropped off the U16s Squad at Spain Park home of Banks O'Dee, then the bus carried on with th U15s to their  venue 5 minutes away at Aberdeen Snow Centre. What had been a bright sunny journey all the way up the road had now turned into a wet, windy freezing cold day.


Both set of players ran out to sleet and rain. A minutes silence was observed by everyone for Remberance Sunday. It was also great to see the number of parents who had travelled North to support the team. Over half the crowed were our supporters who had travelled from Edinburgh.

Three goals in the first 8 minutes from Arran Laidlaw, Nicky Reid & Jack Crombie had the SERYFA boys off to a great start. The north pulled a goal back after being awarded a penalty before another two goals from Keir Russel & Brandon Hunter before half time had the boys well ahead. They were also playing some great football. 

The second half saw a number of changes and early into the second half the North Pulled a goal back. This just spurred our boys on and a 6th goal was added by William Scott,  It wasnt long after William added his second goal. With the SERYFA now well in control both teams made a number of substitutions giving all the players as much game time as possible. The North added a 3rd goal not to long before the end, but the game was over by then and the SERYFA had dominated the match and never looked like losing.

Ian & I would like to thank all the players and both team coaches John Watt & Paul Doig for the hard work


Vice-President Ian Richardson attended the U15s match and kept me up to date with how things were going by phone. I must admit the first few call were not good news. After about 8 mins I found out the U15s were a goal to nil down and it was a wee bit of a shakey start by them. A chat with Ian at half time was even worse news the boys were 4-1 down but by all accounts the score flattered the North. Baillie Simpson had got our goal in th first half. The North Region president turned up to watch the second half of the U16s game after watching the first half of the U15s game. He indicated that although the North were 4-1 up it wasnt a true reflection on the game as the SERYFA had came strongly back into the game and a few errors had cost us a couple of the goals. So no news till late on in the second half ( thought Ians phone wasnt working). Finally a call GREAT NEWS, 2 goals from Harris Macara and another from Owen West had drawn us level and the game had finished 4-4 with the SERYFA turning the game right around. Due to the format of the competition there has to be a winner so it goes to penaltys. A nervous ten minutes goes by and the phone rings Even better news SERYFA win 5-4 on penaltys.

Once again Ian & I would like to thank all the players and large number of parents etc that travelled North to support the teams. Also thanks to our U15s Coaches Euan Greig and Fergus Myer.